North American pitcher plants or Sarracenia are carnivorous plants native to savannas and bogs, mainly along the United States southeastern coastal plain. They are easy to grow if you follow a few simple guidelines:
- Grow in full sun to keep plants strong and healthy
- Only use water with a low mineral content (i.e. rain, distilled or reverse osmosis water)
- Use a peat-based growing medium with no added fertilizer
- Pitcher plants love having “wet feet”. To imitate their natural habitat by growing plants with their container sitting in a saucer fill of water. Don't let plants dry out!
- To mimic their natural dormancy, expose plants to moderately cold temperatures (between 25 and 45℉) through the winter